Library Alert 04/17/2017
Library Alert 04/13/2017
Library Alert 03/23/2017
Library Alert 03/15/2017
Library Alert 03/06/2017
Library Alert 02/22/2017 - Munich Security Conference (MSC) 2017
Library Alert 02/06/2017
Liberty Alert 01/24/2017
Library Alert 01/10/2017 - Global Strategic Forecasts and Assessments
Library Alert 12/19/2016
Library Alert 12/09/2016
“This guide provides access to information on federal agency management issues facing the incoming Trump-Pence Administration. Consists of resources from government agencies and public policy research institutions.”
"Join us for CSIS' annual flagship conference on the top challenges facing U.S. and global security. This year's Forum will focus on the foreign and security policy agenda for the next U.S. Administration."
Links to the following programs are on the page linked to above.
“Welcoming Remarks and Plenary I - Navigating 21st Century Security Challenges"
“Session 1: Russia Today and Tomorrow: Implications for the U.S.”
“Session 2: Energy and Climate Challenges for the Next Administration”
“Session 3: Defense Market Outlook: Challenges for the Next Administration”
“Session 4: In the Cross-Hairs: The Surge of Violence against the Health Sector”
"Session 1: Challenges from North Korea"
"Session 2: After Mosul"
"Session 3: The Global Health Security Agenda: Its First Years and the Way Forward"
"Session 4: Key Decisions for Strategic Space Programs in the Next Administration"
"Plenary II - Public Opinion Trends and Implications for the Next Administration's Foreign Policy Agenda"
"Plenary III - National Security Priorities and Challenges for the Presidential Transition"
Library Alert 12/06/2016
Library Alert 11/23/2016
Library Alert 11/18/2016
Library Alert 10/24/2016
Library Alert 10/11/2016
Library Alert 09/21/2016
Library Alert 09/06/2016
Library Alert 08/22/2016
Library Alert 08/08/2016 - Futures
Compiled by Travis Ferrell, Research Librarian, U.S. Army War College Library
This LibGuide focuses on Future Warfare and Futurology. Topics covered include Strategic Forecasts and Weapons Research, Landpower, Space Warfare and Exploration, 3rd Offset, Geopolitics, and more.
Please click the following to view online: http://usawc.libguides.com/futures
Other LibGuides and bibliographies compiled by our research librarians are available online through the Library's webpage at
Library Alert 07/18/2016
Library Alert 07/11/2016 - The "Report of the Iraq Inquiry" (also known as the "Chilcot Report"), Brexit, and Transgender Military Service
Today’s Library Alert will be more detailed than normal, because of several important recent events.
1. The British Government recently published the “Report of the Iraq Inquiry,” also known as the “Chilcot Report”. The Iraq Inquiry’s mission was to examine the United Kingdom’s participation in Iraq. Specifically, it considered “the period from the summer of 2001 to the end of July 2009, embracing the run-up to the conflict in Iraq, including the way decisions were made and actions taken, to establish, as accurately as possible, what happened and to identify the lessons that can be learned. Those lessons will help ensure that, if we face similar situations in future, the government of the day is best equipped to respond to those situations in the most effective manner in the best interests of the country.” This report is analogous to an After Action Report / Lessons Learned document for the United Kingdom as regards its participation in Iraq. Some commentary is provided.
2. The full implications of Brexit, the 23 June Referendum in the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, are not fully known, but are expected to be major. Additional resources about Brexit, along with a link to the Brexit Library Alert dated 5 July 2016, are shared.
3. As of 30 June 2016, Transgender persons are allowed to openly serve in the US military. Resources from the US Department of Defense as well as relevant studies from RAND and the Palm Center are shared.
The above resources can be found here: http://usawc.libguides.com/libraryalert07112016
Library Alert 07/05/2016 - Brexit
Given the geopolitical and geoeconomic importance of the 23 June Referendum in the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, this Library Alert will focus exclusively on the implications of this vote. Normally, only academic research and reports are included in Library Alerts; however, as little time has passed since the Referendum, commentary, statements, and discussions from influential international security and foreign policy institutions in the United Kingdom, the United States, Continental Europe, and elsewhere are included. Some British government publications and news items are included as well.
As of 5 July 2016, the following are the most detailed open access resources about Brexit of which the USAWC Library is aware. More detailed reports may become available in the future, in which case they will be considered for inclusion in future Library Alerts.
Library Alert 06/20/2016
Library Alert 06/14/2016
Library Alert 06/06/2016
Library Alert 05/16/2016
Library Alert 05/09/2016
Library Alert 04/18/2016
Library Alert 04/04/2016
Library Alert 03/21/2016
Library Alert 03/09/2016
There is a known error with opening some files on the USAWC network. Instead of the full-text article you will get a window with an "X". If you come across this error, try the following:
- Right-click on the link and select "Save Target As..." (Internet Explorer) or "Save Link As" (Firefox) to download the file directly to the computer. Then open the PDF from the drive that you saved it to; OR
- Try again using Mozilla Firefox.
The USAWC Library is unable to provide assistance opening links. The Library does, however, test links before publishing them to the Library Alerts webpage.