Offsite Access to Articles in Library Databases
- EZproxy: A third party service that enables USAWC users to remotely access database content when you are not in Root Hall. It operates as an intermediary server between your computer and the Library's subscription databases. You will need a username and password, which are issued to students at the beginning of the academic term.
- Links: You will find EZproxy links to specific full-text readings prepared for you by instructors and staff, in online syllabi, directives, bibliographies, reading lists, and emails. These links are static so that you can easily access course materials anytime and anywhere.
- Library Databases: EZproxy links to databases have been prepared for you by USAWC librarians. Find them on the Library's research homepage and click on any database in the Library Databases box (e.g., ProQuest, EBSCO OmniFile, Jane's). Use your EZproxy username and password to log in.
- Username and Password: You only need to log in with the EZproxy username and password once per broswer session. This information was provided to you on a business card during library orientation. If you need this information again, you can ask for a new card at Access Services Desk, call the Reference Desk at 717-245-3660, or email AskRoot@usawc.libanswers.com. Please remember not to share EZproxy login information with others.
- Impact of Firewalls: Most Internet service providers (ISPs) do not limit the areas you can access on the Internet, so home users should not encounter any firewall issues. Corporate and military organizations, however, often do employ firewalls which may disrupt or interfere with access.
TROUBLESHOOTING REMOTE ACCESS:
- Try Again! Many problems with EZproxy are caused simply by login errors. If your first login attempt fails, try again. Check to make sure CAPS LOCK is not on. Or, if you see a Page Not Found message after you do login, use the Back button and click on the link again. It may work the second time.
- Broken Links: If a link appears to be broken, you can try to redo the search, by journal title. Go to the Library's webpage at http://usawc.libguides.com/current and click on the tab "Journals" to search individual serials. Browse through the specific issue you need. You will need to login with your EZproxy password.
- Browsers: EZproxy works independently from operating systems and browsers, but problems may be caused by your browser if you have not downloaded and installed the newest version. Also, it is a good idea to check to make sure that the security settings on your browser are not too restrictive and that it will accept cookies and allow popups. Be aware that ISPs who use proprietary versions of browsers, such as AOL, can interfere with EZproxy. A simple workaround is to connect to your provider, minimize the window, and then open a different browser for your search, such as Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Databases: Not all remote access problems are caused by EZproxy. Occasionally, databases will have technical problems. Also, deleting cookies might help. You may successfully pass through EZproxy only to find an error caused by the database. If this happens, back out of the database and try using another one. It is unlikely that both providers would be having technical problems at the same time. Generally, database problems are resolved quickly.
- For further assistance and to report technical issues, please contact the USAWC Research Librarians at (717) 245-3660 or AskRoot@usawc.libanswers.com.