Step-by-Step ExamplesFinding the Links in Databases
This is the "Library Tools for Faculty/Staff" page of the "Faculty Development" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Faculty Development  

Last Updated: Apr 25, 2017 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates

Library Tools for Faculty/Staff Print Page

Librarian Liaisons

What is a Librarian Liaison?
A Librarian Liaison is a professional librarian who has been designated to foster communication and collaboration between USAWC faculty and the Library. With this service, the librarian's expertise in research and information resources is partnered with faculty subject knowledge.

What are some of the services and benefits faculty can expect from their Liaisons?

  • Assistance in the use of Library resources
  • One-on-one consultations for research, special projects, and curriculum development for electives or core support
  • Notification of new materials and resources tailored to specific subject areas of interest
  • Customized instruction for individual students, elective groups, or other organizations
  • Individual refresher sessions on use of EZproxy article linking, subscription databases, and other electronic tools
  • Group demonstrations and tutorials for students, instructors, researchers, and support staff
  • Library presence as requested at meetings

What is the difference between Research Librarians and Librarian Liaisons?
The Research Librarians are always available to provide traditional Reference service for all faculty, staff, students, and other customers. However, faculty may also choose to connect directly with their own Liaisons to seek help, answer questions, or any of the other services listed above.

Who is my Librarian Liaison?

 DCLM/CSL     Travis Ferrell    717-245-4341
 DDE/PKSOI    Mona Kwon    717-245-3170
 DMSPO/AHEC    Christopher Flaherty       717-245-3160
 DNSS/SSI      Jenny Silkett    717-245-4299

Borrowing Materials

We extend direct borrowing privileges to Carlisle Barracks military and civilian personnel and their families, active and retired military living in the Carlisle area, and members of Associated College Libraries of Central Pennsylvania institutions. Others should contact their local library to arrange interlibrary loans.

Customers may borrow circulating books and audio CDs for one month, and videocassettes and DVDs for one week. Reference books and periodicals, to include back files, are for in-library use only. The Library may recall any item on loan for mission use.

Most of the Root Hall Library materials are on open stacks. Customers unable to locate books, journals, or other materials should ask for assistance at Circulation. Materials are charged out at the Circulation counter. Access Services staff the counter M-F 0730-1630. During unstaffed hours, a manual self-service system is available; directions are posted at the desk. Library customers may request holds, recalls, and renewals as long as they have not been requested by another customer. Please visit Circulation, email Access Services, or call 717-245-4288.

Materials at Ridgway Hall are in closed stacks, and must be requested via Access Services or used on-site in the Ridgway Hall reading room.

Some materials not available from USAWC/USAHEC may be available via Inter-Library Loan. Complete an ILL Request to submit a request. You may also submit requests via email or in person. You will be notified via email when the item arrives.

Lost library items must be reported and restitution will be made in accordance with Library and Army policy.

Access Services
Mon-Fri 0730-1630


Course Reserves

Course reserves are books, articles and other supplemental reading materials that instructors place on hold in the library for their classes. Course reserve materials have a limited loan period or are library use only, to ensure availability to students in the class.

To place items on reserve in the Library at Root Hall, a properly completed Course Reserve form must be submitted.

Please submit course reserve form(s) 6 weeks prior to the beginning of the course. Submit to:

Reference USAWC Regulation 25-97 - Course Reserves (CBOnline Access Only)


Breakout Areas and Study Carrels

Individual study carrels throughout the Library are available for students and faculty. Carrels are for daily use on a first come basis. Exceptions may be made for special project needs (excluding the Strategy Research Project). Those using carrels for more than one day should register at the Access Services Desk.

There are breakout areas for group study, collaboration, and meetings. A large presentation area equipped with an overhead projector, big screen, and instructor computer workstation is set up for librarians’ instructional sessions and may also be reserved by students, staff, and faculty for meetings and group coursework.

Visit the Access Services Desk or phone 717-245-4288 to reserve a breakout area or carrel.


Quick Links


Suggest a Purchase

To recommend specific titles for purchase, email the following address.

Please include any pertinent information, such as publisher's announcement. After review, the Library will notify you of disposition of your recommendation.



Loading  Loading...